It’s a difficult challenge when someone you love suffer from a serious ailment.
Even my family had its fair share. My mom was 48 when diagnosed with breast cancer. Five years later, cancer has metastasized to her lungs and heart. She has undergone numerous chemotherapy sessions with high hopes to prolong her life. She has experienced hair loss, nausea and vomiting and other side effects. Despite the circumstances, my mom remained strong and positive. My mom was the bravest person I ever knew. Unfortunately, she had lost her battle at the age of 57. It’s never easy for us. Never.
A few weeks ago, I together with other mommy bloggers had a meeting with Professor Mu Feng, M.D. of Guangzhou Fuda Cancer Hospital. They are one of the best oncology hospitals in China that have been approved to carry out brachytherapy – a new weapon effectively destroy CANCER.
Iodine Seeds Implantation Brachytherapy
The source of this technique is the tiny metal particles (seeds) which contain radioactive iodine-125, coated with metal titanium. Each particle with 4.5 mm in length and 0.8 mm in diameter, contained iodine-125 with a radioactive activity and its half-life is 60 days. These seeds release a low voltage and short-ranged gamma ray that can reduce the size of the tumor and kill cancer cells.
With a long needle-like injection gun loaded with the seeds, doctors inject the radioactive seeds uniformly one by one inside the tumor. The whole procedure takes one to two hours. The second day after the treatment, it usually requires post-treatment verification to ensure efficacy.
If the tumor is big, multiple iodine particles can be implanted to ensure the treatment effect.In most of the cases, iodine seeds implantation requires no surgical incision, offers patients a shorter recovery time, and has less chance of troubling side effects compared with the external beam radiation.
Some advantages of iodine seeds implantation brachytherapy compared to external radiotherapy:
- Less and slight side effects. When iodine-125 particles are placed in the tumor, the radiation is mainly concentrated in the tumor. The dose of radiation received by the surrounding normal organs is very small, so it does not cause damage to skin, tissues, and organs as external radiotherapy does.
- The patients who have recurrent cancer after external radiotherapy could have iodine seed implantation therapy since the radiation will only be restricted around 1cm around the seed.
- The procedure takes only about one to two hours.
- It can be combined with other ablation therapies to prevent recurrence of tumors caused by incomplete ablation.
- It can enhance the therapeutic effect of chemotherapy and hyperthermia on local tumors.
Typical cases using Iodine seeds implantation brachytherapy:
In the past 10 years, Guangzhou Fuda Cancer Hospital has completed nearly 10,000 cases of iodine seed implantation therapy. They are also been invited to make iodine seed implantation therapy related speeches in Chicago, Singapore, China and etc.
Iodine seeds implantation brachytherapy is applicable to treat the following:
Pancreatic cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, malignant glioma, cervical cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, oral and tongue cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer, malignant thymoma, malignant lymphoma, metastatic lymph node cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, bone cancer, etc.
Guangzhou Fuda Cancer Hospital has satellite offices all over Asia including the Philippines.
- Second Opinion Consultation (FREE of charge)
- Free cost estimate for the treatment procedures in Fuda China.
- Assistance in Securing China Visa
- Assistance for round trip ticket issuance.
- Transport from the Guangzhou airport to Fuda Cancer Hospital in China.
Requirements needed for Consultation:
- Biopsy Test or Pathological Test Report.
- CT scan or MRI scans report.
- Medical Summary or Medical Abstract report.
- Other Cancer-related reports.
Fuda Makati Satellite Office
Unit 901-A Centuria Medical Makati Building,
Kalayaan Avenue Corner Salamanca Street Brgy. Poblacion Makati City 1210.
Office Hour: Monday – Friday /9 am to 3 pm
By Appointment basis: Please contact Mr. Segundo Cruz III [Fuda Coordinator]
Mobile: 0917 775 3426 /Landline: 02 507 3426
Email: [email protected]
Facebook Page: Fuda Cancer Hospital – Philippines (website to be updated)
Even if my mom didn’t survive her battle, I still believe that there is hope with cancer.
To my lovely readers, please help me spread this good news!
A millenial mom (of two boys) who has passion in makeup and motherhood in between.