A lot of women prefer to wear red to formal occasions, such as formal events and homecoming parties.
Red is a sexy and bold choice, but wearing the wrong makeup or accessories with a red dress can be a disaster.
To minimize the risks of looking like a jester, here are some makeup ideas that you can try with your red dress:
Red on Red
A classic makeup choice is wearing red lipstick with the red dress. For this bold look to work, you must exude an aura of confidence and you’re sure to win the crown.
To achieve this look, here are a few steps you can follow:
- Apply a good quality foundation base.
- Apply a very light blush on the apples of your cheeks.
- You can have wing-tipped eyeliners and fake eyelashes but skip the eyeshadow. Or if you really want to, avoid the dark ones and go for natural, shimmer options.
- Complete the look by wearing lipstick that is the exact same shade of red that your dress is. A different shade may clash with the dress and foil the entire look so you need to take note of this when you order 2018 red prom dresses today.
Without going over the top, a well done smokey eye can be the perfect supplement to the theatrical appeal of red dresses.
Unlike the Red on Red look that highlights the lips, when wearing smoky eyes with a red dress, you are drawing attention to the eyes, so the rest of the face and the lips can take the backseat.
One way to achieve an inviting smokey eye makeup is to do the following:
- Apply a very thin coat of tinted moisturizer or BB cream.
- You can also apply a peach or light pink shimmer on the apples of your cheeks. While you don’t really need to apply bronzer, if your face looks pale with foundation, you can dust a bit of bronze powder.
- For the focal point—the eyes, start by applying concealer on the eyelids to help the shadows stick better. Trace thick lines around your eyes using pencil eyeliner, and then trace these lines with gel eyeliner to make them more defined. Finally, brush two coats of metallic powder eyeshadow on your lids.
- Apply mascara to add volume to your lashes.
- Use a nude shade of lipstick or lip gloss for your lips.
Noting that wearing a red dress can already be flashy, you might want to tone down the makeup.
One trending look that we have noticed among celebrities wearing red gowns during red carpet events is the nude glow. Nude makeup involves an easy palette of rich browns, greys, and beiges that look beautiful when worn with a red dress. Plus, it turns the attention toward your enviable skin that exudes a bronzed glow.
There are a number of nude makeup tutorials that you can search for on the Internet but here is one way to achieve this look:
- Instead of foundation, apply a tinted moisturizer to keep your skin looking fresh and natural.
- Apply powder blush shimmer for glowing cheeks.
- Apply bronzing powder on the apples of your cheeks instead of under the cheekbones.
- Use matte eyeshadow, eyeliner pencil, and black mascara on your eyes.
- To complete the look, apply a nude lipstick.
Whether you’re the party host or just an attendee, these makeup ideas will definitely make you the stunner in the red dress that will leave people in awe.