Decorating your home is not only an excellent way to keep your home looking beautiful but also a way to let your visitors see your personality.
While a well-decorated home can be inviting, certain home accessories can be hazardous to young children. To make sure your little ones stay safe, avoid these four home accessories below that moms should never buy.
Candles are not only dangerous to small children when they are lit, but also immediately after. Your children can be quick and often will find ways to reach their desired objects. A bright burning light will attract your child if for no other reason than to blow it out. Candles can also be dangerous right after the flame is extinguished. This is because the wax will not only burn their skin but is hard to immediately remove. In addition, candles also account for over 3% of all household fires.
Delicate Figurines of Decorative Pieces
If you have a glass or other delicate figurines, it is best to put them up somewhere safe when you have young children. Children play rough, and more fragile items tend to shatter when they are knocked down. It leaves a dangerous area for your child to be in. Smaller pieces of glass can also become more easily embedded in the skin and difficult to remove.
Cacti or Other Dangerous Plants
Many people like the brightness and life that a plant can add to their room.
But be cautious of the plants you choose if you have small children. While cacti are a popular choice due to their low maintenance, they do hurt when touched. And removing the needles can be just as painful as when they went in. Moreover, try to avoid plants that can be considered poisonous like daffodils, English ivy, and oleander. Also, there are some variations of lilies which can be poisonous when ingested. Children like to discover things with their hands as well as their mouth. Thus, be cautious any thing you have around with your child and assume they may end up in their mouth at least once.
Not only do air fresheners simply mask odors and do nothing to clean dirt, but they can also leave a residue in the air and on furniture that is not dangerous for smaller children. Even though you may not see it, small children can get air freshener on their hands during play which will then be put in their mouth. If you have children with sensitive skin or allergies, air fresheners can also cause skin irritation.
To avoid mishaps and dangers around the home, if you have kids, you should avoid the above four home accessories.
It is important to remember that no matter how great something looks in your home, it is not worth your child’s safety. Children are very quick, and even well-watched children can hurt themselves quickly on items in the home, so it is best to avoid having them in the home altogether especially in areas where little hands may be.
A millenial mom (of two boys) who has passion in makeup and motherhood in between.