Six Easy Things You Can Do To Get Rid of Oily Skin

Jul 24, 2017 | Beauty & Fashion | 25 comments

Oily skin problems don’t just happen in the summer.

There are tons of factors that can lead to getting oily all year round. One good example is stress. When your body is under stress, the hormone cortisol gets released and triggers a chain of reaction. And that eventually leads to acne.
Using the wrong face products is another culprit for having oily skin.
Just because a product claims to be great for oily skin doesn’t mean it can actually work for you. You have to carefully read the fine prints.
Take, fragrance, for example. Not all brands are honest enough to claim that their products actually have fragrance in them. You have to look into the ingredient list to see if it’s there.
Fragrance, although it can make your creams and lotions a lot more appealing. It can actually trigger irritation. For someone with clogged pores, that’s the last thing you’d want to happen.
Another thing is choosing the right facial cleanser for pimples. You have to be familiar with acne-fighting ingredients. Salicylic acid is one good example. This ingredient is able to unclog pores and prevent the formation of lesions. It can also address any redness and inflammation.
Another great ingredient is benzoyl peroxide. It can kill acne-causing bacteria and aids in skin peeling. Usually, it is recommended for people dealing with mild to moderate acne.

In addition to these two, there are also natural ingredients that can control your breakouts. Green tea and witch hazel make great examples.

Apart from cleansers, you should also invest in the best noncomedogenic moisturizers. Non-comedogenic means that they won’t block or clog your pores. The right moisturizer should have a lightweight formulation and preferably water-based. Heavy moisturizers tend to be occlusive which can cause clogged pores.
To control oily skin, you need to apply your moisturizer daily. Forgetting to moisturize can be problematic for your skin type. When you wash your face, your skin’s natural oils get stripped away. And as your skin feels dry, it begins to produce more oil in an attempt to regain balance and protection. The more your skin produces oil, the more things can get out of control for your skin.
To get a better idea, you can check out the infographic below.

Hannah Do is the founder of Thank Your Skin, a beauty blog dedicated to providing honest skin care advice and information. She aspires to help her readers achieve their most beautiful skin by sharing personal tips learned through both years of experience and thorough research. Check out her latest article here. You can find her on TwitterPinterest and Facebook

1. Jhake O.

I just wish apple cider vinegar smells more like apples than vinegar haha! Thanks for the informative post!

2. GiGi Eats Celebrities

Oily skin is definitely something I do not have to worry about. Dry skin on the other hand… Ha! But I do moisturize 2x a day! Honestly though, my skin really isn't bad at all!

3. Jess Benoit

I've had oily/acne skin since about 10 years old and I'm close to 40 now. Moisturizing was a big HUH?? for me because I couldn't understand how that could help! This year I finally took the plunge and found a great moisturizer for oily skin and it helps to regulate the oil, especially after cleaning my face. I feel a huge difference when I don't wear moisturizer and I can't stand it so it's not hard to forget my moisturizer.

4. Emily Morton

I totally know how it is to have oily skin. It's taken me years to figure out what works for me!

5. life'smanual

Great tips and easy to follow. Lots of water keeps my skin healthy.

6. Fashion Beyond Forty

What an awesome infographic!! A lot of people think they should not moisturize oily skin. As you point out that is a huge mistake.

7. Claudia Krusch

My skin has been changing a lot in the past few months. I used to have really dry skin all year long. Now I seem to be getting oil patches. I will have to give these a try.

8. Sam Pui Yee

Exactly what I needed. Just to share I just switched my moisturizer from oil control ones to a more hydrating one, my face appear to be less shiny.

xx
    Puiyeesss

9. Olivia Ivia

Although I have dry and sensitive skin, this definitely is a good tips. I will share with my friends who need this.

10. Kylie wenn

Great tips… It's easy and can get rid of oily skin.. So nice!

11. Brandi Puga

Apple cider vinegar is incredibly good for so many things, but man does it stink! These are some great tips, my husband will really benefit from them!

12. Sarah-Louise Bailey

I have awfully oily skin so I really need to try and give some of these ideas as try and see if they can work for me.

13. Parenting Patch

Not overwashing my face helped me a lot. Overwashing strips natural oils and causes the skin to make even more oil!

14. Mom Knows Best

I have the opposite problem of dry skin. My daughter has oily skin so i will share thi with her.

15. blair villanueva

Thanks for sharing and that's an impressive inforgraphic that Hannah Do.
    I've seen this infographic months prior, and nothing beats than a healthy glowy skin.

16. Echo A

This is so awesome! I bet these tips would be super helpful! Luckily, I only have dry skin.

17. Jennifer Rollins

I wish I had oily skin. Mine is so dry 🙁 Great tips though!

18. Lee

Salicylic acid is definitely a go to remedy to strip and shed old skin. I think it also helps with old scars. Good skin tips!

19. dr-Life

this is really a good sharing and I can share this with my friends – Racheal

20. Emily

I've combination skin and it gives me problems once in a while. Thank you for sharing these tips. I will remember to follow them closely!

21. Ana Ojha

I struggle with my Dry Skin! These tips are great for anyone having oily skin!

22. Rebecca Swenor

These are all great things to help or look for for oily skin. I didn't know that green tea and witch hazel help with clearing mild acne. Thanks for sharing these tips.

23. Claire Pajarillo

I will share this information to my sister as she is suffering from having too oily skin. I hope this helps her regain her lost confidence. (Francis Angelito)

24. Sophia Alves

I have to agree on the fragrances that many beauty companies input in the skin products. Does not matter how much Vitamin C or other ingredients that are beneficial for skin they input, the fact is that to much of those fragrances damages the skin, and thank you for pointing that out Hannah.

Thank you for sharing these tips with us, they really help others like me that are still trying to find the perfect skin care products, and your pointers help us to know what to look for, and what to avoid!

1. Mask Sparty with Diana Stalder and DS Cafe - Mommy Rockin' In Style - Beauty and Mommy Blogger Philippines - […] hosted by Diana Stalder at Gateway Mall branch. Diana Stalder is a leading authority on skincare & beauty with some…
  2. Colour Collection Makeup [Review + Swatches] - Mommy Rockin' In Style - Beauty and Mommy Blogger Philippines - […] but it is buildable. I like that it doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. If you have extremely oily…