Fake vs Real: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul & Amsterdam [Photos + Swatches]

Nov 3, 2016 | Beauty & Fashion | 26 comments

With so many makeup products you could find selling on the internet, how would you know that you are getting the “real” NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream?

I personally don’t use fake makeup simply because they are FAKE! And just because they are fake, we are very unsure of its composition. And the worst part is, your lips might get swollen because of allergic reaction. And no one like this to happen. In this post, I will run down all the differences between the fake and the real NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, with photos and swatches for your visual reference.

Price
Fake – P50 in Divisoria
Real – varies from P280 to P390 (in stores and online)

Packaging

(1) The fake one is in a glossy tube and taller than the real one. It also has more like a rounded bottom part and couldn’t stand on his own with its cap on.
(2) There is a product description printed on the fake one while there are “creme a levres..”, volume and weight on the real one. From this, you could simply tell which is the real one.
(3) The fake one has the color code, SHADE NAME, and BATCH NO. Meanwhile, the real one has the color code, batch code, and the serial number.

(4) The real NYX SMLC has a color code on the cap.

(5) On the fake one, the sticker is made with a glossy paper and was not properly placed at the center which is totally different from the real one. You could also spot the difference on the text orientation whereas, in the fake one, the word “Istanbul” is all in capital letters, while in the real one, only the first letter is capitalized. The color code “SMLC06” also differs in size and text style.

(6) They have different wordings and orientation.

On the fake one, it started with “Lip Colors” while the real one starts with “Soft Matte Lip Cream”. The logos cruelty-free and biodegradable are also in different order. The fake one misspelled the word cruelty into “crucky”.
NYX Address
Fake: 311 Shoreham Street, Sheffield, S2, 4FA, UK
Real: 1101 CM Amsterdam Zuidoost, The Netherlands
Lifespan
Fake: 12M
Real: 18M

(7) The fake one has this almost transparent screw bits while the real one has a color mimicking the shade Istanbul. It also has a doe foot applicator that looks slimmer than the real one.

Fake vs Real: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul

Fake vs Real: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam

(8) Formulation
Fake: A glossy-like formulation – thick and sticky, has a strong scent and doesn’t dry matte. It also appears lighter than the real one.
Real: Creamy and lightweight, has a subtle vanilla scent and dries quickly and matte finish.
You may also want to check out:
So I guess that’s all for now! I hope you find this post helpful!
Would you like some more Fake vs. Real posts? Let me know gorgeous!
Thanks for your time! 🙂

1. Jennifer Timonel

Thank you so much for this blog. Now malalaman ko na kung alin ang fake at real.

2. Arlene

This one is very informative lalo na this days na super dami na ng mga fake makeup products outside so this one is very helpful..

3. Kecia

Oh wow, I didn't realize fake makeup was sold like this. For an amateur to makeup like me, I wouldn't have known the difference. This post is super helpful – please do more!

4. Mom Knows Best

These lip colors look so nice. Never knew that their was fake ones.

5. Paula

This is so interesting, especially how the fake lip gloss has the misspelling of the word cruelty. My mom bought a fake high end purse, but didn't realize it at the time and the packaging had similar typos.

6. sixteen_424

It's high time for this, thank you for sharing! With so many fake make ups left and right, we need to be wise in choosing the real ones. Who knows what those fake lippies are made of.
    IG: @fe_cjas

7. Eileen

In some cases, cheap is not good. We must be vigilant in recognizing fake from real products. Thanks for your informative post!

8. Aziel Morte

Thank you for sharing your tips! I'm a lippie lover and glad to found this kind of post! 🙂

9. Karlyn Bishop

Fake makeups are some where, we have to be careful. Thanks for sharing info how to spot fake.

10. Melanie Smith

Those are two of my favorite NYX lip cream. They are so cute and Nyx is a wonderful brand.

11. Kimberly C.

I was so close to buying these. Thanks for this review. I'm amazed how much the fake and real one differ. Wow, better stick with the real thing.

12. gole cruz

thanks for the info.. gonna share this to my friends.

13. Roseann Silva

Havent tried a nyx.thanks for giving me enough info on differentiating a real to a fake wannabe..fake items are now spreading..sometimes we can get confused buying a fake one..

14. Katy {AShadeOfTeal}

Had no idea people sold fake versions of nyx. Now I'm gonna go check all mine to see if they're even real.

15. Mav

Same sentiments on fake lip products, you are unsure of the ingredients. Mas mahal magpagamot kesa bumili ng original na product.

16. Kathy Kenny Ngo

I have plenty of friends who are in love with Nyx and I am sure that this article is going to be a big help to them. I am going to send this to all of my Nyx lover friends. Thanks for the heads up!

17. Jennifer Johnson

It is amazing how many people try to make and sell fake products!! Thank you for showing the difference on these ones.

18. Ron Leyba

This is nice! Now we can determine which one is fake and which one is the legit one. Thanks!

19. Echo A

I didn't even realize that their was fake versions of makeup! I guess it's because I don't wear it often. Thank you for sharing what to watch out for!

20. Mariana

I'm hearing about more and more instances where people buy fake makeup by accident. It's terrible. I think a lot of times people are looking for a good deal, but sometimes it's too good to be true. It's so important to buy from legitimate stores and websites.

I would never know which one is fake and which one's real! Should be careful next time! 😀 And btw, the brush I told you that I ordered, which you said is also fake, I can't tell if it is too!! lol. I'll show it to you pag nagkita tayo. lol.