Our Subic Adventure: Kawayan Kitchen

Dec 2, 2015 | food | 30 comments

Welcome to the second sequel of our Subic Adventure and welcome to Kawayan Kitchen!

As I have mentioned in my previous post, we learned about them on one of the flyers of “must-try in Subic” that was handed to us upon entering Subic. Perfect timing because we are starving when we checked-in at SBYC and craving for something “different”.

Kawayan Kitchen is known for their unique style of cooking using a bamboo/kawayan.

The art of cooking in Kawayan (bamboo) were taught by the natives living in Subic Bay called the “Aetas”.
During the Vietnam War, Americans used Subic as a base. The Americans were then fascinated with how Aetas survived with only a bolo (machete) and bamboo to survive, and asked the Aetas if they could impart their teachings. Thus, the Jungle Environment Survival Training (JEST) Camp was born.

JEST Camp has since been giving visitors from all around the world a taste of survival, and this is through the ultimate one-of-a-kind dining experience that is KAWAYAN KITCHEN. http://www.kawayankitchen.com

Kawayan Kitchen is located at JEST Camp and its 30 minutes travel time from Subic Bay Yacht Club

Nothing fancy about the place just like a common cafeteria but I like that it is air-conditioned. It is the perfect place to eat and rest after your activity at JEST Camp. They also have enough space for guests and well-lighted (not sure though during at night).

We initially ordered their best seller Luto sa Kawayan Rice 120Php, Sinigang na Hipon 295Php and Lechon Kawali 199Php. Waiting time is 30 to 45 minutes but you won’t get bored as you can stroll outside while waiting for your food.

JEST Camp offers exciting outdoor activities for you and your family.

The order came but unfortunately, our Luto sa Kawayan rice was burnt and plain rice has been served instead.

If we pushed through the Luto sa Kawayan rice we have to wait for another 45 minutes which is unbearable for our empty stomach. Tsk tsk.

Sinigang na Hipon cooked using bamboo/kawayan
Sinigang na Hipon 295Php
Lechon Kawali 199Php

The food was good. Nothing special about it
We felt bad that we weren‘t able to try the Kawayan Rice which we‘ve been meaning to try. I hope next time they cook in batch so they have backup in times of mishaps.

I also hope they have high chair for babies and toddlers because hubby and I have to switched places in carrying Cloud and when eating our meals. Nakakapagod din ha. And of course, to enjoy more our food sana

Cost-wise, its affordable and the food is good. You get what you pay for.

Overall, despite our dismay on the bamboo rice, we had a good lunch at Kawayan Kitchen. It is definitely a must-try in Subic.

Have you tried Kawayan Kitchen?
Let me know in the comment section below.

Thanks for reading dearies!

I haven't been to Jest Camp but I would love to try the food in Kawayan Kitchen, sana hindi masunog ang rice namin. 🙂

2. Neri Ann

Mukhang masarap yung sinigang na niluto sa kawayan ha?

3. Bryan Chesca Alejandro

We've seen how the Aetas cook using bamboo at a show in Zoobic 🙂 Haven't tried it though!

4. Jhanis V.

Never tried anything na luto sa kawayan! Looks like a great foodie adventure. Hopefully soon!

5. Mommy Charm

Haven't tried the Kawayan Rice but that sounds cool. Imagine, your rice was cooked inside a bamboo! I would love to try that out once we get to visit Subic too ^-^

6. Melisa Sanchez

Gustong gusto ko ang sinigang na hipon sa kawayan sis.. Looks interesting.

7. Kat Jorge-Rodriguez

I would love to try this place next time we visit Subic. So ang tagal pala maluto pag sa Kawayan no.

8. EINz

Subic! We are scheduled to go there next month for my 2nd grader's educational fieldtrip. I told him that we have gone there already 5years ago, and he exclaimed he don't remember anything about that trip.

I show him pictures of our tiger safari adventure, but to no avail… yeah, we still have to join the trip.

This I know would be a nice learning adventure, medyo masakit lang sa bangs ang byahe… =P

9. Marie Angeli Laxa

Mukhang masarap the dishes, but like you, I would have wanted to know how the rice tastes! Sayang.

10. Mommy Rockin' In Style

Ay sobra sis masakit sa pwet, lalo na I have a baby na super likot heheh. Enjoy your upcoming Subic trip mommy 🙂

11. Jackie

The food looks sooo good! Will definitely try it when we're in the area! Ang creative, I love that it's sooo Filipino! 🙂

12. Juvyann Petilla

Seeing sinigang cooked in a bamboo, I think is a reason enough to visit and check this place. Too bad you never got to try their special rice. Would love if they can do something about the ambiance though to make it a more authentic experience. Thanks for sharing sis, will check out this place when we visit Subic in the future!

13. ayeeesha

Cute concept 🙂 I would definitely try out this place when I'm in Subic 🙂

14. Anna Plaida

We love to visit Subic from the day that they open in public, but we never visited this one pa, hope we can experience this one eating food cook from Kawayan

15. jared's mum

that looks interesting! I have seen this on the telly on a few occasions, I hope we can try it out soon!

16. Charleys Mommy

This looks interesting. I havent been to Kawayan Kitchen, but would surely love to try! Thanks for sharing, Mommy. 🙂

17. Mommy Rockin' In Style

I agree with the ambiance, looks like a common eatery lang. I hope they redecorate the restaurant for it to look more inviting.